Jam making is a great way to use your time on those cold, dreary days, which are fast approaching. One of the best recipes for this time of year is pomegranate jam, since they’re in season and readily available for you to use.
What ingredients will you need?
To make JBC’s pomegranate jam, here are the ingredients that you will need:
- 8 large pomegranates that are already ripe
- 8 tbsp of pectin
- 60ml of lemon juice
- 575g of granulated sugar
As well as this, you will need to make sure that you have the following equipment ready: 1 large wooden spoon, a ladle, large funnel, jar grabber or tongs, large pot, 8-9 jars with lids to store your jam.
Get started making the jam
1. Prepare your jars and lids by cleaning and sterilising them ready for once you have made your jam. Sterilised jars will allow the jam to set better too.
2. Check the instructions for using the Pectin – it may be that you need to make 2 batches if you cannot exceed a certain volume of sugar. Don’t just multiply the ingredients and make a larger batch as this will prevent the jam setting properly.
3. Wash your pomegranates before halving and scooping out the contents.
4. Heat on a low heat until almost boiling, to release juice from the seeds. Let it simmer for 10 minutes. At this stage you may choose to remove the seeds using a sieve at this point if you prefer seedless jam.
5. Pour in your lemon juice and add the pectin into the pan, heating it on high for about 5-10mins stirring regularly.
6. Allow the mixture to boil. Should you need more sugar, you can add it at this stage.
7. Test the consistency by cooling a teaspoon in ice water, and then taking a spoonful of the jam and allowing it to cool to room temperature. If you find that your mixture is too runny, add more pectin and bring to the boil again.
8. Making sure that your jars are already warm to avoid cracking, fill each of your jars to around 1cm from the top of the jar and seal them.
9. Using the tongs, place each of your jars into boiling water for 5 minutes. This will help your jam to keep for longer, with the quality lasting for up to 6 months.
10. Remove your jars and allow them to cool ready for you to use your pomegranate jam.
Jars in different sizes to create the finishing touches
Whether you need medium sized jam jars such as the 380ml Jam Jar or would prefer to gift your jams in Miniature 1.5oz Jars for friends and family, JBC’s range of glass jars is ideal for presenting your jams. As well as rounded jars, they offer square and hexagonal jars, all in the highest quality to reflect your product.
Take a look at the full JBC glass jar range or find out more about which products would be best for your jams, take a look at our website.