Elderflower cordial is a delightful and refreshing beverage crafted from the delicate blossoms of the elderflower plant. With its fragrant aroma and subtly sweet taste, this cordial has become a beloved summer staple in many UK households. In this article, we'll explore the recipe for homemade elderflower cordial and discover its various uses. We'll also highlight the convenience and charm of storing it in swing stopper glass bottles available from JBC.
Recipe: Homemade Elderflower Cordial
- 20-25 elderflower heads
- 4 unwaxed lemons
- 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp citric acid
- 2 pints (1.1 liters) boiling water
1. Begin by gently shaking the elderflower heads to remove any insects, then give them a careful rinse under cold water. Allow them to drain in a colander.
2. Meanwhile, thinly slice the lemons and set them aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the elderflower heads, lemon slices, sugar, and citric acid.
4. Pour the boiling water over the mixture and stir well until the sugar has dissolved.
5. Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and leave it to steep for 24-48 hours, allowing the flavors to infuse.
6. After the steeping period, strain the liquid through a muslin cloth or fine sieve into a clean jug or bowl.
7. Transfer the cordial into swing stopper glass bottles, such as those available from JBC, ensuring they are sterilised beforehand.
8. Seal the bottles tightly with the swing stopper lids to preserve the freshness and flavours of the cordial.
9. Store the elderflower cordial in a cool, dark place or refrigerate for a longer shelf life.
Uses of Elderflower Cordial:
Elderflower cordial offers a wide range of uses beyond being a refreshing drink on a sunny day. Here are a few creative ways to enjoy this delightful elixir:
1. Summer Beverages: Dilute the cordial with still or sparkling water for a thirst-quenching and aromatic summer drink. Add ice cubes and garnish with fresh mint leaves or lemon slices for an extra touch of elegance.
2. Cocktails and Mocktails: Elevate your cocktail game by incorporating elderflower cordial into your favourite concoctions. From classic spritzers to innovative mocktails, its floral notes add a unique twist to your beverages.
3. Desserts and Baking: Drizzle elderflower cordial over fruit salads, use it as a syrup for pancakes or waffles, or infuse it into cakes, cupcakes, and pastries to impart a delicate floral essence.
4. Salad Dressings and Sauces: Blend elderflower cordial with olive oil, lemon juice, and a touch of mustard to create a delightful dressing for summer salads. It can also be incorporated into sweet or savoury sauces to lend a subtle floral note.
Swing Stopper Glass Bottles from JBC:
To preserve the freshness and flavours of homemade elderflower cordial, it's essential to store it in quality containers. Swing stopper glass bottles, available from JBC, provide an excellent choice for this purpose. These bottles feature airtight seals and swing-top lids, which help maintain the cordial's taste and aroma. They come in various sizes to accommodate different quantities of cordial, ensuring you have the perfect vessel for storing and serving this delightful elixir.
Creating your own elderflower cordial opens up a world of aromatic and refreshing possibilities. Whether enjoyed as a simple summer beverage or incorporated into variousculinary creations, elderflower cordial brings a touch of elegance to any occasion. Its versatility allows you to explore and experiment with different flavour combinations, adding a floral twist to your favourite recipes. By storing your homemade elderflower cordial in swing stopper glass bottles from JBC, you not only preserve its taste and quality but also enhance the overall presentation.
Whether you're hosting a garden party, seeking a refreshing drink on a hot day, or adding a unique flavour to your culinary creations, elderflower cordial is a delightful addition to your repertoire. With its homemade charm and the convenience of swing stopper glass bottles from JBC, you can enjoy the essence of summer in every sip.
So, gather those fragrant elderflower blossoms, prepare your lemons, and embark on a journey to create your very own elderflower cordial. Embrace the versatility and joy it brings to your kitchen, and let the swing stopper glass bottles become the vessels that showcase your craftsmanship. Cheers to the delightful elixir of elderflower cordial!